The cheese product sometimes gets a bad reputation, but it is still a guilty pleasure for many. Maybe you like your Velveeta cheese in soups, queso, burgers, or your favorite mac and cheese – it’s your choice.
You are just about to enjoy your Velveeta cheese, however you like it, but then you realize it’s been standing on your shelf for a long time.
You start thinking to yourself: Has my Velveeta cheese gone bad? Is its shelf life different from regular cheese?
Here are the answers to your burning questions. Because it is a processed cheese product with preservatives to keep it fresher for longer, it can last up to 8 weeks once opened. Phew!
Signs Your Velveeta Cheese Has Gone Bad
Here are the lookout signs to ensure you stay away from spoiled Velveeta cheese.
- Mold: If there is any sign of mold, it is time to get rid of the cheese product.
- Color: If your Velveeta cheese changes color from a pale yellow to something else, discard it.
- Texture: This cheese product is soft to the touch. So if you find the texture is watery, it is no longer safe to consume. That said if there are dried-out and hardened areas, you’re still good to eat Velveeta – but you may choose to discard it because it’s degraded in quality.
- Smell: Any unpleasant odors are a warning that your Velveeta cheese is spoiled and should be thrown out.
- Taste: Finally, have a small bite. If it still tastes okay, it should be safe to use.
How To Store Velveeta Cheese
Unlike regular cheeses, Velveeta cheese has a unique storage system. It is a processed and pasteurized cheese product, making spoiling much more difficult. However, practicing good food storage techniques is necessary even for more long-lasting products.
Store your Velveeta cheese in a cool, dry place like a pantry, away from any sources of heat. Once opened, it should be put in the fridge to reduce the speed at which the quality might downgrade.
Remember: wrap your Velveeta tightly to avoid exposure to any pockets of cold air. This will prevent the cheese from hardening on the outside.
Refrain from freezing the cheese as it will affect the texture of the cheese product. Although, if it is your only option before it starts to deteriorate, freezing could work. It shouldn’t matter when you melt it all together.
How Long Does Velveeta Cheese Last?
Unopened Velveeta cheese lasts up to six months past its best-by date. Opening the cheese product shortens the lifespan to eight weeks for its best quality.
As always, check the wellness of your Velveeta before using it in case it may have gone bad.
Velveeta is a favorite cheese product, filled with processes to keep it lasting longer than normal cheese. Once you have opened it to enjoy it, do so within eight weeks. But always keep it correctly stored – tightly and securely in the fridge.
Velveeta cheese can last almost as long as its logo has over the last 50 years.